Friday, November 13, 2009

Music Legend Jethro Tull

I just found out from a friend that Jethro Tull is performing here in Seattle. This reminded me of an incredible event that happened to me when I was supposed to shoot the band after a concert at the Forum in Los Angeles.

I was hired by Warner Brothers Records to shoot Jethro Tull after their concert. I was enjoying the concert with a couple of Warner Brothers Records PR staff until we decided that it was time to get backstage to get ready for the shoot.

To gain access backstage, we had to walk to the back of the auditorium, out to the lobby, and around to the backstage entrance. As we were walking to the back of the auditorium we noticed a surge of people rushing towards the stage. None of us realized what provoked this reaction.

By the time we got to the backstage entrance a full riot ensued. We were lucky to get through. Walking through the backstage doors, I looked back to see forklift trucks barricading the doors separating us from the wild crowd. Ushers herded the band, Warner Brothers executives, and myself back into a small room.

The door shut.

So there I was, waiting anxiously-with Jethro Tull, Warner Brother executives, and a handful of managers and roadies sitting in a small room as police where guarding us from outside chaos.

Needless to say the shoot should have been a fun time but it did not even take place. I questioned myself many times if it would be appropriate to take my camera out and start shooting, but the mood was so morose-I felt that to do such a thing would not be appropriate. We were waiting for hours as the police cleared the Forum. Finally we were let out. I bid Jethro Tull farewell, and ran to my VW bug feeling very lucky that I made it out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment